Friday, December 5, 2014

October, Part II - Elk Neck State Park

The last weekend in October was homeleave, so my friends and I went camping. It was much needed for all of us, and who doesn't enjoy relaxing by a camp fire in an over-sized sweatshirt and roasting marshmallows?

We went to Elk Neck State Park in eastern Maryland. Robby's family is actually from that area, so while for the rest of us, it was somewhere new, for him, it felt much like home. For five people, it averaged out to $10 for the whole weekend (not including the food we bought). Who can beat that, though?? We made delicious campfire food in aluminum foil, and went for a beautiful hike on Saturday. Turkey Point Lighthouse is a must-see if ever you camp at the park. It's a short walk (a little less than 3/4 of a mile), and when you come out to the lighthouse, you're struck with the view of the bay from this amazing cliff. Also, the lighthouse is open on certain weekends of the month - you'll have to visit the website here for more information.



I had so much planned for this post when I originally got back, like the recipes we used, and other things to do in the area . . . but alas, time has taken away the effort I would have put into it on the Monday after.

The link to Elk Neck State Park's website is here - I do encourage you, if you're a Marylander or even an eastern PA or DE resident, to take a look and spend a weekend there. They also have fishing spots, hiking trails, and primitive camping options. Maryland is such a beautiful state, and I'm always taken back by its beauty in the changing seasons. Make sure, as the weather's getting colder, that you're staying bundled up, but that you're taking the time to enjoy the small things and getting out there to adventure!

Later this month, I think I'll be posting my top Christmas albums to use when traveling or light-seeking :) Happy Holidays! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment