Friday, February 6, 2015

French Macarons - A First

So remember on December 17, 2014 when I said I would update you soon on what my mom and I were doing for our Christmas tradition? Yeah, me either.

I do apologize for the absence! As I mentioned before, my mom and I spend at least a day or two every holiday season baking goodies for the families. This year, we decided to really push ourselves and attempt French Macarons. Surprisingly, we did really well. Our only hiccup was that our oven, when put on "bake" acted like it was on "broil" and only wanted to cook things from the top. After we solved this problem, things got progressively easier.

We used quite a few resources online to make the "perfect" French Macarons from blogs to youtube videos. I'll link the sources below! But beware before you take on a big project like this! Macarons are very time consuming until you can get a system down, and they're oh-so-delicate. It took us between 2-3 hours to make one batch of 24-28 cookies. Although they aren't that expensive to make, when you pay $2 or more for one cookie, you're really paying for all of the time and care that went into making them. It's certainly made me appreciate these delicacies on a totally new level!

We made three flavors: Mint Chocolate, Raspberry, and Salted Caramel. Our third flavor was originally going to be Eggnog to keep it more holiday-oriented, but the Salted Caramel ended up being my favorite one. We simply made an almond flavored cookie and then added Jif's Salted Caramel hazelnut spread in the middle. They were delicious!





Anyway, enjoy the adventure of creating French Macarons, if you decide to embark on such an adventure! It was certainly one for my mom and I!

Resources:
Food Nouveau - YouTube Video
Martha Stewart's Recipe
Popsugar on French Macarons

No comments:

Post a Comment