Sunday, February 8, 2015

Longhorns and Legacies

A week ago today, I was in the air on my way back from a wonderful trip to Texas. The high school I work at was taking their students to a basketball tournament at Southwestern Adventist University, and I happened to secure an extra ticket. I didn't go as a chaperone, a sponsor, or anything remotely affiliated with HVA, because, well, I had other intentions. Some of my students from JCA now attend Southwestern, the ticket price was cheap, and I just couldn't pass it up. I accurately managed to convince them I wasn't coming down, and then surprised everyone. It was such a perfect trip that filled my heart to the brim with love, laughter, and joy. I was able to see my students and old co-workers who still live in the DFW area. I left feeling incredibly fulfilled and like maybe, just maybe, I could make it through the rest of the school year.



While I was down, my old roommate and I took a day to explore a few things from Fort Worth and Dallas. We only had a day, so we didn't see a ton, but what I did see left me excited for a more in-depth experience the next time. I've been into downtown Dallas before, but not much in Fort Worth. So, here's my tips on what to see and do next time you find yourself in the DFW area!


Fort Worth
1. Go to the historic Stockyards. When my roommate, Melissa, told me about how LIVE Longhorns are taken down the center of the street in the Stockyards, I almost lost my mind. "Really?! Live cows down the center of the street?!" She looked at me as any person would look at a slightly deranged tourist and replied, "They're not cows, Ashley. They're Longhorns." This was such a cool thing to see! And it's exactly how it sounds. Of course, it's solely a touristy thing, but it was certainly an experience worth the time. Also around the Stockyards is Billy Bob's, which is Texas's largest honky tonk; The White Elephant Saloon, where the first major gun fight in Ol' Texas broke out and where some episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger was filmed; Leddy's Boots and Saddles, which literally has wall-to-wall selections of boots, saddles, suits, and other fine items; and, if you're lucky, you can drop in on a live auction - fast-talking auctioneers and all.

Loved photographing this guy! He had the perfect Texas accent, and was such a trooper! Totally ready for a photo-op!

2. Sundance Square. In the spring and summer, this beautiful city square seems idyllic for coffee and a nice evening with friends. The mural, the water, and the overall atmosphere makes you feel like you're not in the center of a huge metropolitan area, and gives you the opportunity to pleasantly recharge amid the bustle. According to Melissa, it's also a great place to sit and enjoy the live music you can hear wafting through the streets on summer evenings.

3. Fort Worth Water Gardens. These were beautiful! Even though the leaves were all off the trees, this would probably be the Central Park to my New York City if I lived in Fort Worth. The movement and the sound of rushing water is lovely. Visiting convinced me to work on my photography so that next time, I can get those wonderful shots of water rushing in a long-exposure picture. It's going to happen. Anyway, it's definitely worth a visit and from atop of its highest point, you can get some stunning panoramas of the city.

Dallas
1. Dealy Plaza & the Sixth Floor Museum. Even though I have mixed feelings about John F. Kennedy, seeing one of the most iconic places in US History is certainly worth the stop. It's almost breath-taking when you see the X's on the road where the gunshots were fired. Although we didn't go through the museum (which costs $16) due to time, just walking around the site and reading the plaques was fine by me. If you're into conspiracies, look for people standing on the sidewalks adjacent to the fatal X holding newspapers. They're ready and willing to tell you what they know about the assassination that took place there.

2. Meyerson Symphony Center and the Art District. Although I didn't go this time, in the years that I worked in Texas, it was an annual thing to go to the Meyerson for a concert (put on by our own students). It is a magnificent concert hall with fantastic acoustics and overall sound delivery. If you want to get dressed up and go to a symphony, do it here. It's amazing! Also, a place I will visit next time is Klyde Warren Park. Abundant with food trucks, an outdoor library and a dog park, it seems like the perfect green space in the midst of what can be a chaotic Dallas.

3. Pioneer Plaza. I only say this because I love Longhorns. I mean, I was literally squealing like a little girl in Fort Worth. These 49 bronze Longhorn statues are a dedication to Texas's lengthy "cowboy" history, and apparently one of the most photographed parts of the city. If you're not into that, I guess you could go to Arlington to check out the Dallas Cowboys' monstrosity of a stadium too . . .

Anyway, as I mentioned before, I had such a wonderful time in Texas. There are SO many things to do and see. I picked up a million and one pamphlets on the DFW area that I'll be sure to study for next time. There's the Dallas Zoo, and Six Flags Over Texas -- the list seems never-ending. And don't get me started on the cuisine! Exquisite barbecue (can exquisite even be used in front of barbecue?), live music, and quaint hole-in-the-wall coffee shops. The diversity is endless! If you're in the area, tell me what you experienced and loved, so I can add it to my list!

A glimpse at the Water Gardens.
Melissa, my former roommate and awesome tour guide.

Happy Adventuring! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment