Sunday, February 2, 2014

Warm Walking

Yesterday was a literal day of rest in the Dunbar apartment. Having slept in until noon and being greeted by the warm rays of the sun, I lazed in my pajamas, read, and took cat naps with my cat all afternoon. In the evening, I ate popsicles and watched the movie HERE. It stars Ben Foster and is set in Armenia. It's a Sundance Film Festival winner, and if you're interested in watching it, here's a heads' up:

  • There will be more for your eyes to drink in than anything else. There isn't a lot of dialogue, and there are intermittent parts of narration with a lot of film noise. It could be viewed as a slow-paced film. However, the landscape of Armenia is stunning, and the people are beautifully portrayed.
  • It will make you want to travel. It's an off-beat sort of pick-up-and-go movie. Will, the main character, is a cartographer based out of San Francisco. He took the job so he could work independently and search for "the edge of the world." He meets Garadine, who is a photographer. She decides to pick up and go with him as he maps the landscape. Between the two of them, it brings a sense of quiet adventure. It's nothing like the heart-pounding, adrenaline-pumping Walter Mitty, but it's a relaxed, beautiful take on travel and spontaneity. 
  • There is a romantic storyline. However, the cool thing is that it isn't overdone. It's part of the main storyline, but it's not. Armenia is the background, but also the foreground. The two are the main characters, but they're not. It's an interesting film.
  • There is a lot of room for interpretation. So, watch it with friends, if you'd like, and discuss elements of the film to see what each of you got out of it.
Catch it on Netflix if you're a subscriber. If not, it can be rented on iTunes for $4.99.

This morning, I woke up to gray skies, but warm weather. Even now, I can see a spot of blue in the sky, but it's gray for the most part. Since I didn't go anywhere yesterday, I decided to just take a walk around HVA's campus with my camera. I used to do this when I was younger, but it costed a lot to take pictures on film and get them developed. Half the time, my mom didn't understand why I would take pictures of the things I did. Digital SLR cameras are awesome because you don't have to wait for your pictures to be developed (which can also be a con, I guess), and you can have the freedom to take and/or delete whatever you want to. So, below are some pictures from my brief walk this afternoon. (It probably would have been longer, but classes started this past week and I'm swamped with reading. Lame.) Enjoy :)








If you're planning on watching the Super Bowl tonight, be safe and have fun! I'm putting my money on Denver ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment