Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I recently acquired some succulents. This is in part because they're basically the same thing as cacti and in part because I'm venturing out on my green thumb potential. What better plant to start out with than a cactus? (Or at least something similar to it.)

However, the first one I purchased in the beginning of March from Home Depot came in a cute little terracotta planter, and I thought "this is easy enough. Maybe spray it with water every other day and let it do its own thing." It wasn't until my mom came over one day and looked at the plant that I thought maybe I should rethink my approach. "Ashley," she said with surprise. "These plants do not look healthy! Are you sure you're watching them correctly?"

It turns out . . . I wasn't. So here are some tips and tricks to make your succulents the best they've ever been! (Well, it's trial and error, but this is what I've gathered from experience and from reading other blogs - which I'll have links to at the bottom.)

 
  • Bright sunlight. If you're growing succulents indoors like myself, it's important for them to be in the brightest room in the house. From what I've read, they typically need at least 6 hours of good sunlight - a south-facing window is suggested. This is because these types of plants are used to desert environments, which get a lot of sun and also varying temperatures. If you have the opportunity to place them outside during spring and summer, that's ideal. If you notice your plants "stretching" for light, that probably means they're not getting enough sunlight.
  • Well-draining soil. This is important. Make sure that your succulent is in a pot that has adequate drainage and that you're using cactus soil or something similar. It has characteristics of the soil that succulents are used to growing in. Your container should be terracotta, which is ideal. Some growers suggest non-glazed pots as they tend to retain water, but it's what works best for you and your plants.
  • Watering. The amount that you need to water your succulents actually varies per season. If it's cooler (i.e. winter and late fall/early spring), your succulent will need less water. If it's late spring, summer, and early fall, your plants will need watered more. HOWEVER, it can become easy to overwater them, which you don't want to do. Some websites suggest watering once or twice a month during the winter and once a week during the summer. You should always pay attention to the dampness of your soil first and foremost. If it is bone dry, then you water it. This should happen a maximum of once a week, and your soil always needs to dry completely in between watering. You also need to pay attention to root rot, which occurs from over-watering.
  • Pay attention. Most importantly, all of these things vary (trust me, I didn't like hearing that either). People have different methods for caring for their plants, but if you're doing something that isn't exactly like what people are telling you, it doesn't mean you're doing it wrong if your plants are responding positively to it. Have fun! That's the point of getting house plants, right? To nurture and see progress in the little things you're taking care of.
Here are some links that I found really helpful in learning how to care for my plants:

Enjoy your journey with succulents! If I can't be out doing something outdoors or because of something else (which is really hard when I want to be outside, but it's still cold and rainy where I am), adventure can be had by trying something new! For me, it's learning how to care for something I've kind of always want to, but never took the chance in doing.

Adieu Caribou! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment